Friday, September 19, 2008

Favorite Class of ALL Time.

{Papa B and Natalie will appreciate this post....}

----Caution, this post may be a bit morbid----


Jason and I went through the agony and pain of the Elementary Anatomy class last semester and succeeded! If your lucky enough to make it through and are a senior, you can take the Advanced Anatomy class. There are only 5 people allowed in that class and we are lucky enough to have taken up 2 of those slots.
There are only 5 people in this class because we get to dissect the cadaver that the elementary class will learn from the following semester. Cadavers come from the University of Hawaii medical school, this one is Margaret. She past away due to Cardiopulmary dysfunction. She has had a mysectomy and she has had surgery on both of her knees. She lived a long life, passing away at the age of 92. And we are grateful she donated her body to science so that we can learn.

In the first class we started on her back, Jason and I both had the gluteal region (her booty). After taking off the adipose tissue, we were able to locate the muscles, nerves and blood vessels in that region. When dissecting, I located a cyst. That was really interesting. After dissecting an area, we are quized about what we found and then, move on. These quizes are MUCH better than the ones in elementary anatomy. We all got 102%!
We have since moved on to the front and have been locating the muscles, nerves and blood vessels of the brachial cephalic region (the upper chest, shoulders, neck region).
This class has already been such a great learning experience. We are so grateful to be in it!

The show "Bodies, The Exhibition" is here in Hawaii and several of our friends from elemenarty anatomy and Jason & I have been wanting to go see it, but just haven't yet. Well, the first day of class our professor brought it up and said he wants to take our class!!! We're so excited!-not only to see it but to see it on the Biology Departments tab is even better! =]

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Hey guys,
You totally blow me away. I am so proud of you both and am thrilled you are enjoying your classes so much. I know I sound corny but it is all true. 2 out of the 5 spots is amazing!

Bill and Tara said...

Anatomy was my FAVORITE class at BYU. I used to come home from the lab spelling of formaldehyde. Our cadaver had many tattoos. I am proud to say I got extra credit for knowing what the tattoo on his ----- said. :) Good job you two.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome you guys!! I always wanted to take anatomy, but just never got that far. Even though it would take a lot for me to be able to do what you guys are doing, I think once I did it, I would love it, and Im pretty jelous!! Miss you guys!!

natalie said...

I might be a little jealous! You guys are having a wonderful experience there. Savor every minute!

Stephanie Vogel said...

Helloooo! I don't even know how I found your blog...but I am glad I did! You can check ours out leviandsteph.blogspot.com

Jennelle said...

I always wanted to take that class but I never ended up going that route. Brady and I went to see the Bodies Exibition I thought it was so neat-o

The Newmans said...

It sounds like you are having a great learning experience there! I'm jelous! And, bodies is amazing...I'm sure you will enjoy it! Let us know!

Anna K. said...

I found your blog because I am blog stalker lady! Is that bodies show still going on? I really wanted to go...it sounded cool!

DAVID & ELISSA said...

We need to hang out!