Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deacon Kai Ellsworth

The above picture is Deacon getting ready for his first sponge bath at home! 
This was the calm before the storm.

All better! He loved his new duck towel =)

Lauren (sister -in-law) says I (Jason) have a good stink eye when I am not amused. This is my little guy in training.
Michelle holding baby Deacon shortly after he was born.



I keep debating on if I should tell the story or Michelle. She is sleeping right next to me so here goes my point of view...
I have been pretty busy at school this last semester so I have not had much time at home. I have told Michelle a number of times that my phone is on loud and to call me if anything happens. So I am in the BioChem lab on campus Monday evening (Oct.12) and I get a text.."How much longer do you think you'll be"? So I respond that I just finished lab and I would be starting homework. She then tells me "I think my water broke". I was not too worried as this was done all over text and she did not seem nervous (and she was not sure as it was a very small amount). I suggested she walk over to Trevor and Lauren's house (not too far but, a little walk). I soon found myself not being able to concentrate and so I left on my way over to their house as well. I get there and she is having contractions so we decide to time them and call the birthing center to tell them all that was going on and if we should make our 50 min drive down to see them (we did not want to go because we have heard when its your first baby they do not take you very serious and its a long drive). After Lauren gave Michelle probably her best massage ever, we went to our house picked up our things and headed on our way. We get there and I do not bring anything in with us as I am sure they are just going to be sending us right on back home (Michelle's contractions were like 10 min apart). We get seen in the triage room and sure enough the nurse says "you guys aren't going anywhere, lets get you settled into one of our suites" =). We were very excited! After a while the doctor came in and decided to finish breaking Michelle's water and the contractions slowly built. Deacon was on Michelle's sciatic nerve causing more pain in her legs making that more intense than the contractions. Michelle wanted to do it without the epidural but, the pain in her legs was just too much. The epidural was put in place around 4am (she made it to just about 8 cm so I was impressed). Michelle did not have any problems with the epidural and was so glad she got it. We then got a few off and on moments of shut eye. Around 7 am she was checked again and was at a 10! The doctor and nurse decided that they weren't going to do anything and let her body 'labor down' on its own. Within the next hour the nurse set her up for pushing and we (she) was on her way. The craziest thing was the amount of time it was just Michelle and I doing the pushing process. She would tell me she felt the urge to push, I would look at the monitor, see that she was infact contracting and I would hold her up and count to ten 3 times with a deep breath spaced between each push. If I had to put an honest guess it was just her and I in there 50% of the time alone (exaggeration 75% but, I liked it just being her and I). The doctor was really busy so when Michelle was just about ready for the last push or two the nurse said "hold on we need to wait". Michelle being her sweet self was very understanding but then after 5 min she says to the nurse "OK, WHERE IS THE DOCTOR I AM PUSHING!" The doctor came in a few minutes later and 2 pushes later our little guy was here. [I do have to say I am glad I caught a few TLC birthing episodes before hand because babies are freaky blue when they come out so I was prepared.]


So Deacon Kai was born October 13, 2009 at 11:04am.
8lbs 3.6oz and 21 1/2 inches long.
Everyone in our family has been really helpful. Thanks you Trevor, Lauren, and Kendal for cleaning our house and helping out so much! Also thanks to our 5th ward for all the food and support.


I still cannot believe that we have a baby.
I truly love him so much! And of course my beautiful wife..... She is amazing! I love you Michelle!

24 comments:

S.N.D said...

Okay so I found your blog,sorry for stalking. We haven't been in the birthing class for two weeks now because of Nate's exam, but was curious if you guys had your baby.Oh I guess, we won't see you on the last birthing class.

Congratulations you guys. He is so cute. Oh and I was amazed that Michelle got her epidural when she was 8cm, she must have tried to endured for a long time.

Jacob and Lauren said...

So cute! I think his little stink eye face looks like you Jason!

Anna K. said...

Congrats!!!!! He is so cute! Isn't it crazy that one day there isn't a baby and the next day there is? ha, Im super happy for you guys. Good Job!

Adam said...

Congratulations!!! Welcome to stinky diapers and no sleep...but it's all worth it! Deacon is adorable - and what a cute name. We wish we could still be there in Hawaii to bring you a good home cooked meal and meet him in person! Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you guys! He is adorable and I am so excited for you!

Anderson Family said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you. Whenever I saw that you up dated your blog I kept hoping it was news about the new baby arriving so yeah! He is so cute!

The Danielson said...

Congratulation you guys! He adorable. We are so excited for you guys.

Jennelle said...

Oh Hooray! Sounds like Michelle did a great job! I am glad mom and baby are doing fine. Deacon is beautiful! You guys did good =o) Oh, and i love the name!

Premadasa Family said...

i was the same way to, i wanted to do it without the epidural. i tired as long as i could, but in the end had to get it. It was AMAZING!! i think i will have it everytime!!!!lol...congrats you guys, i am so excited for you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those last few words of your post Jason are, I think, the words of a true husband! There's something about child birth that helps you appreciate your wife that much more. Congrats you guys....Deacon is beautiful, he looks like Michelle. ;)

LHall said...

Congratulations! He is such a cutie. We are so excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh he is so cute! We are so happy for you guys!!

Kalei said...

congratulations!

The Tafuna Family said...

can we just clarify. Did Lauren give her a really good MESSAGE, like a pep talk? or did you mean MASSAGE?

Jason and Michelle Ellsworth said...

Sarah, you are so rude! ha ha ha. Spelling is not a strong point of mine.....and I am going to blame it on the lack of sleep. =)

Riley + Tarryn said...

Congratulations Michelle & Jason! He's beautiful...looks like mom :). And way to go Michelle on having an 8 pounder!

jordan and kat said...

Congratulations you guys.... he is perfect!!

Josh, Hayley, and Baby Channing said...

We are so excited that little Deacon came! We have been awaiting this blessed news for so long. We are so grateful you all are doing well, but we just miss you so much!! He is so handsome! How could he not be though right???

Miss you guys & can't wait to meet him!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Lacey said...

Michelle you are so amazing! congratulations you guys, I'm so glad everything went so well!!!!! And he is adorable!

loven it! said...

congrats you three!! what a fun and exciting time!! deacon is beautiful and i love the hawaiian middle name!!

LHall said...

How's life with baby you two. I guess now it's you three! I hope all is well. He is so cute. I hope you are getting some sleep!

Love,

Lloya

Sybil said...

Congratulations! What a darling baby--cool name too. Good Halloween music.

cheers,
reb

Troy, Tami, Linken and Pierson said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!

Nikki Bullock Olave said...

Jason, that was a great recount on behalf of the both of you. :) what a team. and i like the last comment about freaky blue babies