Monday, March 19, 2012

Table Re-Vamp

We bought a kitchen table, after searching everyday for months on Craigslist. I didnt necessarily love it, but figured that it was a good price, $90 for a table that expands and includes 7 chairs (apparently someone borrowed one and never returned it to the original owners, hence the odd number). Anyway, we thought it was a great deal so bought it. I figured that I could just paint or stain it to a color of our liking. I'd been thinking about how I wanted to redo it for a long time and figuring out when we'd have money for the supplies...like a year and a half long time. Finally deciding on black, to match the other furniture.

A couple of weeks ago Ace Hardware was giving away free paint! They were quart size, and I couldn't resist. So, hello, I didn't have to pay a cent to redo our table! Awesome.
I was excited to finally get started on it so started on a Monday during Deacons nap. It took about 40 minutes to do one coat on one chair. Ah! I wanted to take my time and get it done nicely. I worked on it on Monday and Tuesday. But then I got some stressful news on Wednesday...Jason informed me that his sister had wanted to a game night on Saturday, she was going to do it at her house but couldn't, so Jason offered our house.... Oh geeze.
At this point I only had 4 chairs done. And all day Saturday I was helping the YW in a ward with a project so it had to get done on Friday. Which wouldn't be a problem. Except you can not paint with a 2 year old around. So nap times are usually the only time to get anything done. I made Jason take Deacon out of the house on Thursday morning so I could work on getting more done. I finally got everything done, with the paint and one layer of sealer on Thursday night. I was going to wake up early on Friday and get the final 2 coats of sealant done. When I woke up and started to sand one of the chairs, (because you're suppose to sand between every coat of sealer) the paint was coming off! I was freaking out. I didn't want to antique it. So then I tried to sand them with an even finer grain sand paper by hand, paint was still coming off. I was so frustrated. I just decided to just go ahead and antique them, but the paint was having a hard time coming off in some spots because of the sealant. So annoying. I decided too bad, and forget it, I wasn't going to sand between any coats. It might not be as smooth but it will save time. And jason reminded me that {hopefully} we wont have this table forever. It was exhausting. But I finally got it done just in time for game night. I'm glad its done and am happy with the outcome.
So note to self next time...either buy a table you like or don't buy a table with so many bars for the backs. For crying out loud.